FEMA is reminding everyone to prepare for the flood fight!
The time to get in shape is now. Our District has already done what we can near the Association. Now that Lake County has repaired the damaged water crossing under our RWRF access road, we are using the Konocti Conservation crew to weed and clear the drainage ditches along the RWRF access road to aid the flow to Crazy Creek.
This will also help us to better see the condition of this drainage so we can determine if additional work is needed for proper drainage.
Finally, this will expose the shoulder of the road so we can determine what work is needed leading to the eventual paving of the access road. Kirk Cloyd, G.M.
You to can do your part locally at your homes and as you travel by following the information provided below by FEMA:
Prepare Now for Spring Flooding
Spring may seem far off, but it is just around the corner. Prepare for possible spring flooding now before it sneaks up on you.
Follow these tips from Ready.gov to make sure you, your family and your home are prepared:
- Know your flood risk.
- Familiarize yourself with local emergency plans. Know where to go and how to get there should you need to get to higher ground, the highest level of a building, or to evacuate.
- Make a flood emergency plan for the relevant type/s of local flood risk with plans such as evacuation, shelter, and locations for high ground.
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit, including a minimum of 3 days of food and water, flashlight, batteries, cash, prescription medications and first aid supplies.
- Consider buying flood insurance. Homeowners and renters insurance do not typically cover flood damage.
- Stay tuned to your phone alerts, TV, or radio for weather updates, emergency instructions, or evacuation orders.
For more flood safety information, download the How to Prepare for a Flood guide.
Disclaimer: The reader recognizes that the federal government provides links and informational data on various disaster preparedness resources and events and does not endorse any non-federal events, entities, organizations, services, or products. Please let us know about other events and services for individual and community preparedness that could be included in future newsletters by contacting FEMAfirstname.lastname@example.org.